Why do I need this document?
The NDIS Terms of Business for Registered Providers, Practice Standards and Code of Conduct require providers and workers to understand and comply with various policies and apply various principles in their practice. One way of ensuring this occurs is for regular training to occur on key issues. This training is in addition to your CPD requirements for professional registration and/or membership (although you may be able to use some of the training for CPD points).
The Annual Training Plan provides a clear list of what new (or refresher) training is required. It includes training on policies such as Privacy, Incident Management and Risk Management but also on topics such as the NDIS Code of Conduct and Dignity of Risk. You may also need to add topics to the plan if you are providing some specific supports to NDIS participants.
The Annual Training Plan sets out what you intend to do and what you have completed. The NDIS is a relatively new scheme and changes will occur. You need to make sure you stay up to date with the requirements of the scheme.
If you work on your own, a lot of this training will be informal e.g. reviewing the NDIS Code of Conduct and reflecting on how you apply the code to your delivery of services. Maybe arranging to meet up with your peers to discuss some of the training topics together would be more fun.
Small practices might like to consider covering one topic a month as part of a team meeting.
For larger organisations you will need to keep records of who attended the training and how you provided the training to any staff that missed out. Auditors will question individual staff members about training they have received so having ‘key points’ for each topic is also a useful evidence you can have and can be used as a refresher for staff prior to audit.
Why the auditors like it
- They can see you understand what you have to do each year and have a system in place to remember what training you plan to do.
- It prevents them from having to engage in long conversations with you to find out what training you are doing.
- They have specific training topics they can ask you/your team about.
- OPEN the Annual Training Plan
- CUSTOMISE the list of training to suit your business
- FILL IN the completed date when training is undertaken
- UPDATE your professional CDP record to show the auditor you are maintaining your relevant professional development